Staying healthy when you travel is a constant problem for many of us who spend our lives on the road. While back home, we can join the gym and eat healthy meals yet travelling often means we have to eat quickly and drink even faster. Being on the move constantly is not easy on your health; however we have compiled five ways to stay healthy when you travel.
1) Cut out your vices – If you are a smoker, considering cutting back or quitting altogether. Not only will this save you money but it will make those hikes up that volcano a lot easier. If you know you will struggle without your daily nicotine intake why not consider using e-cigarettes?
2) Slow down – Travelling slowly, spending more time in one place allows you to get into a routine. Who wants a routine I hear you cry. Well travelling is not always about getting from A to B in the shortest amount of time. Slow travel allows you to immerse yourself in a local culture. Explore the local markets and eat healthy fresh food each day.
3) Exercise – If slow travel is not possible and you are staying in hostels every night. Why not simply work out an exercise regime. Hostels are great fun and often crowded. But all you need is some floor space to do a few sit-ups and press ups each day.
4) Be good – Avoid temptations while on the road. If you are the sort of traveller that has to go out partying every night you will find it incredibly hard to stay healthy when you travel. Sometimes the hardest word is no, but consider saying it when your hostel friends are heading to the bar.
5) Shred – Did someone say ski season? Why not stay healthy when you travel by working a season in the snow. Skiing and snowboarding are physically demanding sports. Waking up early to catch fresh lines after a night of partying is the norm in a ski season. Pushing your body to its limits of physical capability is second nature to many seasonaires. Combine the best of both travelling and staying healthy.
What are your tips for staying healthy while travelling?